CONSTITUTION AND STATUTES OF THE
GRAND COMMANDERY OF KNIGHTS TEMPLAR
OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE
Article I ‑ NAME
Section 1. This body shall be designated and known as "The Grand Commandery of Knights Templar of the State of Delaware".
Article II ‑ MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Its members are and shall be:
(a.) All its Past Grand Commanders, Past Deputy Grand Commanders, Past Grand Generalissimos and Past Grand Captains General, so long as they shall remain members of its Constituent Commanderies.
(b.) The Commander, Generalissimo and Captain General of each of its Constituent Commanderies.
(c.) Each of the Past Commanders of its Constituent Commanderies and all such Past Commanders as may have demitted from other jurisdictions and have been elected to membership by the Grand Commandery so long as they remain members of its Constituent Commanderies.
(d.) All Knights Templar of other Grand Commanderies who have been elected honorary members. Such membership shall not confer the right to vote.
Article III - CONCLAVES
Section 1. The Stated Conclaves of this Grand Commandery shall be held on the Friday next preceding the second Saturday in March in each year, at 1:00 o'clock in the afternoon, at such place as may have been decided upon at the Annual Conclave next preceding, provided, that if no place shall have been designated, the Grand Commander may designate the place for holding the Conclave.
Section 2. Special Conclaves may be called by the Grand Commander at such time and place as he may deem expedient, and it shall be his duty, upon the request of a majority of the Commanderies to him directed in writing, to call a Special Conclave.
Section 3. No business shall be transacted at a Special Conclave except that specified in the notice.
Article IV ‑ QUORUM
Section 1. A quorum of the Grand Commandery shall consist of nine members entitled to vote therein, including an officer authorized to convene the same, provided three or more Commanderies are represented.
Article V ‑ CONDUCT OF CONCLAVES AND VOTING THEREIN
Section 1. Each member of the Grand Commandery present in person or by proxy, shall be entitled to one vote, except that the presiding officer shall vote only in case of a tie, when he shall decide the issue. Unless otherwise provided by Grand Encampment Law, all questions submitted shall be decided by a majority vote of those present.
Section 2. The Commander, Generalissimo, and Captain General of each of the Constituent Commanderies may appear and vote by proxy; said proxy being at the time of such service a member of the same Commandery as is his principal and producing a properly authenticated certificate of his appointment.
Section 3. During a conclave an appeal lies to the Grand Commandery from a decision of the Grand Commander save on points of order. At all other times the decisions of the Grand Commander shall have full force and effect, but they must be reviewed by the Grand Commandery at its next annual conclave. If such decisions involve construction of the Constitution, Statutes, Rules, Regulations and Rituals of the Grand Encampment or of the Constitution, Laws, Rules and Regulations of the Grand Commandery an appeal lies to the Grand Commandery.
Article VI ‑ POWERS AND DUTIES
Section 1. The Grand Commandery shall review, at its Annual Conclave, all reports of its officers and may review the proceedings of its Constituent Commanderies.
Section 2. It shall have the power to adopt such Constitution, Laws, Rules and Regulations as are not inconsistent with the Constitution, Statutes, Rules and Regulations of the Grand Encampment and as it may deem necessary for the good of the Order.
Section 3. It shall within its Jurisdiction have exclusive power, without the consent of existing Commanderies, to form new Commanderies and to fix the fee therefore. The fee shall not be less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) and shall be paid in advance.
Section 4. It may prescribe Regulations for the government of its Constituent Commanderies, and may revoke any Charter.
Section 5. It may require its several Constituent Commanderies to pay such portion as it may deem proper of the sums received by them for conferring the Orders, and in addition, such sum annually from each member of such Commanderies as it may deem necessary for the support of the Grand Commandery.
Section 6. It shall examine the accounts of its Grand Treasurer and Grand Recorder, supervise the state and condition of its finances and adopt such measures in relation thereto as it may deem necessary to increase, secure and preserve the same and to insure the utmost punctuality on the part of every accounting officer in the safe‑keeping and delivery of the funds and property of the Grand Commandery.
Section 7. It may fix the territorial limits of its Constituent Commanderies and settle all controversies that may arise among them.
Section 8. It shall, on or before July 1st of each year, pay to the Grand Recorder of the Grand Encampment such an amount as may be prescribed by the Grand Encampment as dues for each member of its Constituent Commanderies, as shown by the returns of such Commanderies at the Annual Conclave next before July 1st.
Section 9. It shall consider all matters and do all things appertaining to the well being and perpetuation of Templar Masonry and exercise all the rights of sovereignty within the limits of its jurisdiction, but always subordinate to the Grand Encampment of the United States.
Article VII - APPEAL TO THE GRAND ENCAMPMENT
Section 1. An appeal may be taken to the Grand Encampment from any decision or action of this Grand Commandery, on questions arising as to the construction or effect of the Constitution, Statutes, Rules, Regulations and Rituals of the Grand Encampment.
Article VIII ‑ OFFICERS
Section 1. The Officers of this Grand Commandery shall be:
1. Grand Commander 2. Deputy Grand Commander
3. Grand Generalissimo 4. Grand Captain General
5. Grand Senior Warden 6. Grand Junior Warden
7. Grand Prelate 8. Grand Treasurer
9. Grand Recorder 10. Grand Standard Bearer
11. Grand Sword Bearer 12. Grand Warder
13. Grand Sentinel 14. Deputy Grand Recorder
the first four of whom, with the Grand Treasurer and the Grand Recorder, shall be elected at each Annual Conclave, and the remaining Officers shall be appointed by the Grand Commander immediately preceding his installation.
Section 2. The offices of Grand Treasurer and Grand Recorder may be consolidated into the office of Grand Recorder, and when so combined the Grand Recorder shall I assume and perform all the duties of the Grand Treasurer. The stipend for the Grand Recorder shall be $.25 per member per annum, but not less than $75.00. The stipend for the Grand Treasurer shall be $.10 per member per annum, but not less than $30.00. (amended 2000)
Article IX ‑ TERM OF OFFICE
Section 1. The Elective Grand Commandery Officers shall be elected at the Annual Conclave and shall hold office until their successors shall have been duly elected and installed. Grand Commandery Officers shall be installed at the Annual Conclave or as soon thereafter as practicable. The Grand Prelate shall hold office during the Grand Commandery year or during the pleasure of the Grand Commander. The other appointive constitutional officers may be appointed to serve during the full Grand Commandery year or only during the Annual Conclave, at the pleasure of the Grand Commander.
Article X ‑ ELIGIBILITY TO OFFICE
Section 1. No Knight Templar shall be eligible to any office in this Grand Commandery, except that of Grand Prelate, unless he shall be at the time a member thereof.
Article XI ‑ DUTIES OF GRAND OFFICERS
Section 1. The duties of the Officers of this Grand Commandery shall be such as appertain to their respective stations, conforming as nearly as may be to those of the corresponding officers of the Grand Encampment. The Grand Commandery may require other service and the Grand Commander may assign to his subordinate officers duties conformable to Templar Law and usage. In addition to these general duties, the specific duties of each Officer shall be as enumerated in Sections 48 through 52 inclusive of the Constitution of the Grand Encampment of the United States.
Article XII - PRECEDENCE OF RANK
Section 1. The Precedence of rank shall be as follows:
Deputy Grand Commander
Grand Captain General
Past Grand Commanders according to seniority
Grand Senior Warden
Grand Junior Warden
Grand Standard Bearer
Grand Sword Bearer
Article XIII ‑ COMMITTEES
Section 1. This Grand Commandery may provide for the appointment of such committees as may be necessary for the transaction of its business or for the good of the Order and may prescribe their duties, which shall in general conform as nearly as may be to those of corresponding Committees of the Grand Encampment.
Section 2. The Standing Committees of this Grand Commandery will be the Committees for Jurisprudence, Finance, Holy Land Pilgrimage, Easter Sunrise Service, Knights Templar Eye Foundation, Knights Templar Educational Foundation, Religious Activities, Ritual and Drill, Permanent Fund, Membership, and Awards. Each of these Committees is charged to prepare a Statement of Purpose/Mission. (Section added 2000)
Article XIV ‑ FINANCE
Section 1. A fee of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) shall be paid to the Grand Commandery for the issue of each Dispensation for the formation of a Constituent Commandery. There shall be no extra charge for the issuance of a Charter.
Section 2. Each Constituent Commandery shall pay to the Grand Recorder of this Grand Commandery not less than Three Dollars ($3.00) plus Grand Encampment fees for each Knight Templar created in such Commandery. Such amount to be determined annually at the Annual Conclave of this Grand Commandery.
Section 3. Each Constituent Commandery shall pay to the Grand Recorder of this Grand Commandery not less than Three Dollars ($3.00) plus Grand Encampment fees for each Knight Templar member on the rolls of such Commandery on the first day of January in each year. Such amount to be determined annually at the Annual Conclave of this Grand Commandery.
Section 4. Each Constituent Commandery shall pay to the Grand Recorder of this Grand Commandery such amount on such members as required by the Grand Encampment as assessment for the Knight Templar Eye Foundation, Inc.
Article XV - ANNUAL RETURNS
Section 1. The Recorder of each Commandery in this jurisdiction shall submit to the Grand Recorder on or before the first day of February in each year, upon blank forms provided by the Grand Recorder, regular returns of its officers and members, with the names of all who have been created, admitted, expelled, suspended, stricken from the roll, or who have died or withdrawn, during the preceding calendar year, and such other information as may be called for, together with the amount of dues and fees payable to the Grand Commandery. Any Commandery whose returns are not so made shall forfeit and pay to the Grand Commandery Twenty‑five ($25.00) for such neglect.
Article XVI ‑ FISCAL YEAR
Section 1. The Fiscal year of this Grand Commandery shall end on February 15th of each year.
Article XVII ‑ CONSTITUENT COMMANDERIES
Section 1. This Grand Commandery shall have exclusive power to establish new Commanderies within its jurisdiction and to ordain and prescribe regulations for their government not in conflict with the Constitution, Statutes, Rules, Regulations and Rituals of the Grand Encampment of the United States.
Section 2. Each Constituent Commandery of this Grand Jurisdiction shall have concurrent jurisdiction with each other Constituent Commandery in all territory within the boundaries of the State of Delaware.
Section 3. The several Commanderies within this jurisdiction shall be represented at each Conclave of this Grand Commandery by one or more of their first three officers, who shall attend in person or by proxy; and any Commandery not so represented shall forfeit and pay to this Grand Commandery the sum of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) for every such neglect.
Section 4. The Stated Conclaves of each Constituent Commandery within this Jurisdiction shall be held at least quarterly, at such place and hour as may be specified in its Charter or designated in its ByLaws.
Section 5. Dual membership shall be permitted in this jurisdiction as prescribed by the Grand Encampment.
Section 6. Constituent Commanderies may adopt By‑ Laws providing that members who are and shall remain in affiliation in Lodge and Chapter, upon payment of a fixed sum of money in cash, may become Life Members and thereafter be exempt from the payment of annual dues. This however does not exempt such members from assessments that may be levied by the Commandery, by this Grand Commandery, or by the Grand Encampment. The Commandery will remain liable for payment of the annual per capita fee on such members. No Life Membership shall be issued for a less sum than $100.00. No Life Memberships heretofore issued shall be invalidated hereby.
Article XVIII ‑ UNIFORMS
Section 1. The Templar dress of the Officers of this Grand Commandery shall be the cap and mantle as prescribed by the Statutes of the Grand Encampment.
Section 2. No Sir Knight shall sit as an officer in this Grand Commandery except he be clothed in the requisite Templar dress, unless by permission of the Grand Commander.
Section 3. Officers of Constituent Commanderies shall be clothed in the form of Templar dress prescribed by the Statutes of the Grand Encampment and adopted by the respective Commandery.
Article XIX ‑ AMENDMENTS
Section 1. No amendment shall be made to these Statutes until it shall have been proposed in writing at one Annual Conclave and adopted by a vote of two‑thirds of all the members present at the next Annual Conclave.
Article XX ‑ PROCEDURES NOT COVERED
Section 1. Procedures in Masonic Law not covered in the Statutes of this Grand Commandery shall follow those of the Constitution and Statutes of the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States of America, and the Constitution and Code of the Grand Lodge A.F. & A.M. of Delaware.
Section 2. Any section of the Statutes of this Grand Commandery in conflict with subsequent amendments to the Constitution and Statutes of the Grand Encampment shall be deemed automatically amended to conform.
No. 1 - Synopsis Report of Annual Session - Adopted March 11, 1994
The Grand Recordser shall provide to each of the Constituent Commanderies of this Grand Commandery, a synopsis of the activities of each Annual Conclave. This synopsis to be provided within thirty days of the Annual Conclave and read in the next stated conclave of the Constituent Commandery.
No. 2 - Grand York Rite Annual Meeting Committee - Adopted March 7, 1997
‘Resolved: that the Grand Commandery in conjunction with the Grand Chapter and Grand Council create a Standing Committee to be known as the Grand York Rite Annual Meeting Committee. The duties of said Committee to be:
* Make all necessary arrangements for the facilities for the annual York Rite Meetings, for the lodging of the Guests of the Grand Bodies, for the Annual Banquet and for the Ladies and Men’s lunches. For the negotiation of costs and the execution of any contracts to accomplish these objectives.
* Plan and conduct all operations for the Meetings including publicity, solicitation of attendees, receipt and management of all funds, payment of all obligations, Banquet seating arrangements, and rendering a just and true account of the same to the Finance Committees of the several Grand Bodies for Audit within four weeks of the meetings.
* Assist the Grand Presiding Officers in obtaining Entertainment for the Annual Banquet: and for providing amenities, such as Hospitality rooms, Ladies programs, decorations etc. that the Presiding officers wish to sponsor.
* Manage the Annual Meeting with a Revenue Neutral objective with the Grand Bodies paying for, or causing to be paid for, the out-of- pocket cost for the food and lodging for their invited guests. Further, that any excess revenue or cost shall be the responsibility of the Grand Bodies on a pro-rata basis of the invited guests attending.
*The committee shall be composed of three members, one from each of the three Grand Bodies. Their term of service shall be for three years except for the initial appointments, where the member from Grand Chapter shall be for one year, Grand Council for two years and Grand Commandery for three years. The chairmanship shall rotate annually through Grand Chapter, Grand Council, and Grand Commandery so that the longest service member is the Chair. The Grand Presiding officers are ex-officio members of the committee. The committee may, and is encouraged to, recruit additional support to accomplish the objectives of the committee.’
No. 3 - Grand Commandery Organization Chart - Adopted March 12, 1999
Grand Commander – Leadership and Special Projects
Deputy Grand Commander – Finance, Youth and Awards
Grand Generalissimo – Membership and Holy Land Pilgrimage
Grand Captain General – Ritual and Drill, Inspections and Easter Sunrise Service
Grand Treasurer – K.T. Eye Foundation, Permanent Fund and Quarter Master
Grand Recorder – K.T. Education Foundation, Annual Meeting and Hospitality
Grand Prelate – Religious Activities
No.4 - Grand York Rite Leadership and Education Committee - Adopted March 12, 1999
Resolved: that the Grand Commandery in conjunction with the Grand Chapter and Grand Council create a Standing Committee to be known as the Grand York Rite Leadership and Education Committee. The duties of said Committee to be:
1. Conceive, prepare, schedule and conduct Seminars for the Officers of the Grand and Constituent bodies of the York Rite on subjects that will improve their ability to lead and educate the members of their respective bodies. At least two (2) Seminars shall be conducted each year in locations accessible to all members of the Rite. Multiple sessions may be considered to satisfy this requirement.
2. Develop, prepare, publish, and provide to the Officers and members of the York Rite materials which will enhance the ability of the Officers to lead, and permit all to better understand the principles of Freemasonry.
3. The committee shall be composed of three members, one from each of the three Grand Bodies. Their term of service shall be for three years except for the initial appointments, where the member from Grand Chapter shall be for one year, Grand Council for two years and Grand Commandery for three years. The chairmanship shall rotate annually through Grand Chapter, Grand Council, and Grand Commandery so that the longest service member is the Chair. The Grand Presiding officers are ex-officio members of the committee. The committee may, and is encouraged to, recruit additional support to accomplish the objectives of the committee.
No.5 - Grand York Rite Youth Activities Committee - Adopted March 12, 1999
‘Resolved: that the Grand Commandery in conjunction with the Grand Chapter and Grand Council create a Standing Committee to be known as the Grand York Rite Youth Activities Committee. The duties of said Committee to be:
1. To maintain a continuing liaison with the Order of DeMolay and Job’s Daughters. They shall advise the York Rite bodies of Youth Activities and elicit support from our membership. They shall advise the Grand Bodies of specific needs of the youth groups and recommend appropriate action.
2. The committee shall be composed of three members, one from each of the three Grand Bodies. Their term of service shall be for three years except for the initial appointments, where the member from Grand Chapter shall be for one year, Grand Council for two years and Grand Commandery for three years. The chairmanship shall rotate annually through Grand Chapter, Grand Council, and Grand Commandery so that the longest service member is the Chair. The Grand Presiding officers are ex-officio members of the committee. The committee may, and is encouraged to, recruit additional support to accomplish the objectives of the committee.
No.6 – Honorary Order of the First State - Adopted March 8, 2008
1. The purpose of this aware is to honor and recognize substantial donations to Knight Templar.
2. This award will be given to any person donating $1,000 to the Grand Commandery Permanent Fund, and/or Knight Templar Eye Foundation and/or Holy Land Pilgrimage Fund.
3. This award will be presented by the Grand Commander at an appropriate time and place and upon the recommendation of the Grand Recorder/Grand Treasurer.
4. There will be no limit to the number of this award given.
5. The award will be in the form of a diamond shaped piece of olive wood with the seal of the State of Delaware on the front, suspended by a blue ribbon from a pin bar upon which will be engraved the name of the Order. A gold color star, to be attached to the ribbon, will be awarded for each multiple of $1,000 donation.
6. The award shall be financed by Grand Commandery funds in such a manner as the Committee on Finance shall decide.
Revision Date: 3/9/2009 By Mark Irwin – Chairman Jurisprudence Committee